Emergency lighting installations
Emergency lighting is an essential safety measure in buildings, designed to provide adequate illumination during power outages, fires, or other emergencies. It enables occupants in navigating the premises to safely evacuate a building and find their way to emergency exits.
Emergency lighting typically consists of the following components:
- Emergency escape lighting: This type of lighting activates when the normal power supply fails, providing immediate illumination to guide occupants to the nearest safe exit routes. It includes both exit signs and emergency luminaires, which are strategically placed to ensure visibility and unobstructed pathways.
- Standby lighting: Standby lighting is an optional component of emergency lighting systems, designed to provide a basic level of illumination to enable normal activities to continue during a power failure. It is not a legal requirement but can be beneficial in certain situations where uninterrupted operation is crucial.
- Escape route lighting: This lighting focuses specifically on ensuring that escape routes, such as corridors and stairways, are clearly visible and accessible during an emergency. It highlights important features like changes in floor levels, doors, and other potential obstacles that may impede evacuation.
- High-risk task area lighting: This component illuminates areas where potentially dangerous processes or equipment are present, allowing occupants to safely shut down or complete critical tasks before evacuating.
- Backup power supply: Emergency lighting systems require a reliable backup power source, such as batteries or generators, to ensure that they remain operational during a power outage or other emergencies.
These components work together to create a comprehensive emergency lighting system that is compliant with relevant safety regulations and standards, ensuring that occupants can safely evacuate a building in the event of an emergency.
AB Electrical offer market leading electrical installations and maintenance packages
Make your problem our project, it only takes a few minutes to arrange an appointment. Our friendly, helpful staff will be pleased to assist you and take your booking for all types of electrical repair works, electrical maintenance, electrical inspections and new installations.
Call us now to make your booking.
What is Emergency Lighting?
Compliant emergency lighting systems need to operate automatically and give illumination of a sufficiently high level for the environment to enable occupants to evacuate the premises safely in an emergency situation.
We've installed emergency lighting systems for clients in variety of sectors such as; Nursing homes, Industrial units, and commerical offices.
What legal regulations do I need to be aware of?
The British Standards define the code of practice for emergency lighting of premesis and whom they apply to in the Standards document BS5266-1.
AB Electrical can help you meet this regulation, and all other parts of the British Standards which may apply to your business. Speak to our techincal consultants today
Competent, accredited electricians...
The NICEIC is a consumer protection organisation set up to protect people against faulty or unsafe electrical installations.
The NICEIC also maintains a separate register to identify approved domestic electricians.
The Electrical Contractors’ Association supports businesses who are involved in all aspects of electrical work
The largest UK-based, in-house team of health and safety auditors, dedicated to ensuring our contractors are employing safe working practices.